minstrel: Fwd: Re: Bagpipes of the world

Martin Hungerford jongleur at netcon.net.au
Sat May 17 23:14:49 PDT 1997

------- Begin Forwarded Message -------

Subject:     Re: Bagpipes of the world
From:        Jim McGill <jim at sea.hp.com>
Newsgroups:  rec.music.makers.bagpipe
Date:        Fri, 16 May 1997 08:21:34 -0700

jean hayes wrote:

> >As for the rest of the world --- most places have bagpipes
> >Andrew Davis
>
> I once saw a picture of Hungarian pipes. The bag cover (or maybe the whole
> bag?) was made of animal skin, -don't know what animal- but the hair was
> light colored and very long, and looked very sikly. Don't know how they
> kept the bag in place. Seems like it would slide out from under your arm
> very easily. Never actually saw anyone play it - just saw the picture.
>
> Jean

Likely a goat or possibly a dog. My Duda has a goat skin. It is
traditional for shepherds to use the skin of their old sheep dog as a
bag. In fact there is a very sad Hungarian lament in which the singer
is  mourning his old dog and says all that he has to remember him by is
his bagpipe.

Jim

-------- End Forwarded Message --------

I hope not too many people mind my forwarding this to the list - I had to tell
somebody!
--
This is Martin Hungerford, aka Martin Jongleur,

"They're not pagans, Frank. Everyone's wearing clothes"
                                        Major Burns of M*A*S*H