minstrel: Re: minstrel-digest V1 #284

Rex Deaver rdeaver at cgro.com
Tue May 6 06:03:22 PDT 1997

At 07:26 AM 5/6/97 -0500, Ben Tucker wrote:

>Don't buy into the "intolerant audience" thing too much.  People mostly
>will learn to like what they hear (just think of Andrew Lloyd Weber)  If
>you want to perform period work, do so.  You may not get huge crowds at
>first, but over time, people will come to appreciate it more and more.  We
>have to lead in this, not follow the least common demominator.

Actually, the "intolerant audience" thing works both ways IMO.  SCA
audiences have a much more trained ear, in many cases, than they are given
credit for.

I have had good response with some trouvere material that has only been
altered enough so that  *I* can sing it:):)   And I have had lukewarm
response with some material that "sounded" Period but was obviously Jacobite
or later.  I try to stay away from the "contemporary folk" sound as much as
possible because *I* don't like it.

Mostly I write my own stuff, based on historical events or Period themes,
and try for the Period "sound" and that seems to work best for me.  But
then, no one has ever accused me of not having a good opinion of my own

Mathurin

----
Rex Deaver
rdeaver at cgro.com
"When the Muse hits you, fall down. Don't try to fight, She is *mean*!"