minstrel: Run run away

Big Steve Weidner sw9529 at csc.albany.edu
Mon May 5 12:56:32 PDT 1997

On Mon, 5 May 1997, Ed Hopkins wrote:

> This morning I heard a Pop song on the radio that seemed to me
> to have a sort of a "traditional" sound to it.  The melody reminded
> me of "Green Grow The Rushes".  The chorus went like this:
>
>    See cha- meleon
>    Lying there  in the sun
>    All things  to everyone
>    Run, run away.
>

> * Has anyone else heard this song?

Ya know, I'm not sure if you heard the same rendition I know of, BUT...

More than likely, you heard a band called Great Big Sea, and oddly enough,
the song is called "Run, Run Away".  They're a relatively new band from
Newfoundland (well, stateside, anyway), and they have their own web site
(http://www.greatbigsea.com).  They're supposed to be putting up some of
their lyrics, but they won't be posting any of the traditional ones.  I
don't have my CD in front of me, so I can't say whether "Run, Run Away" is
trad. or not.

In case you're looking for the discs...
the titles are "Great Big Sea" (The first album, not bad) and "Up"
(Second, has "Run, Run Away" and "Meri Mac" on it, rockin')

Sorry I can't help you on the others...

Steen Dubhthaigh

Steven Weidner
sw9529 at csc.albany.edu
"It's true... no man is an island.
 But if you take a bunch of dead guys and tie 'em together,
 They make a pretty good raft."  -Red Meat