minstrel: Run run away

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Mon May 5 12:10:00 PDT 1997

This morning I heard a Pop song on the radio that seemed to me
to have a sort of a "traditional" sound to it.  The melody reminded
me of "Green Grow The Rushes".  The chorus went like this:

   See cha- meleon
   Lying there  in the sun
   All things  to everyone
   Run, run away.

(I've inserted spaces to show where there was a strange sort of
pause)

* Has anyone else heard this song?

* Is it based on a traditional song?

* Is there any evidence of songs like "Green Grow the Rushes"
  in the Period?

* Do Civil War re-enactment groups have anything like bardic circles?

-- Alfredo el Bufon
Elvegast, Windmaster's Hill, Atlantia