minstrel: Re: bones

Mon May 5 09:11:31 PDT 1997

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Kathy Lee wrote:

> Can anyone shed any light on their history?

There is no entry for "bones" or any similar instrument among the
percussion instruments listed in Galpin's
_Old_English_Instruments_of_Music_, which is a good source for medieval
instruments in England and Scotland.  Since they escaped Galpin's notice,
I would think that they were not indigenous to the British Isles at this
time.  However, based on their simplicity of construction and use, my own
opinion is that they may be very old indeed, possibly pre-dating the
Middle Ages.  I have no proof of that, of course.
Aye,
Eogan