minstrel: ANOTHER song question

Fri May 2 08:58:00 PDT 1997

On Fri, 2 May 1997, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> > I'm looking for a song known only to me as "the Piper of Dundee".
>
> This song is in Digital Tradition. It lists it as being "from Cole,
> Folksongs of England, Ireland, Scotland, & Wales" and says it's
> "Jacobite", which makes it post-period.
>
> -- gb

Actually, if the song is in English, it may not even be Jacobite.  One
interesting thing I learned from a class in Scottish Folk Songs that I
took last summer is that all the true Jacobite songs (and by this I mean
songs written about the Jacobite songs *during* the Jacobite period) were
in Gaelic, except for one, "Johnny Cope."    If this song is actually
Jacobite, it may have been translated from the Gaelic.
	Most of what we think of as Jacobite songs (English songs written about
Bonnie Price Charlie, Culloden, etc.) were actually composed after teh
Jacobite era, during the 1800's, as romantic peices.
Aye,
Eogan