minstrel: song question

Muirgheal leslyann at voyager.snetnsa.com
Wed Apr 30 15:28:13 PDT 1997

>Just because a song is written after 1600 doesn't mean it can't be made to
>sound period. Unless somebody has a degree in early musicology, the
>general SCA audience doesn't know the difference. Most "traditional"
>Scottish and Irish tunes that we have today have been written since the
>18th century, i.e., Star of the County Down, Galway Bay, Loch Lomond,
>Carlough,...all these are frequently assumed by the general fireside
>audience as being period tunes. (These may not be the best examples, but
>you get the idea...) At least that's been my experience.
>
>---Ceara ni Neill

I agree that this is generally true, but is it something that we want to
encourage or discourage?  I don't mind non-period songs in an informal
context, but is "they'll assume it's period if I sing it" a good reason for
singing something?  It comes awfully close to implying something is period
when we know it isn't.  My own personal opinion is that if we are going to
do a non-period song because people would like it, that's fine, but the
audience should know that it isn't period.

Muirgheal

Name: Lesley Anne Baker
E-mail: leslyann at voyager.snetnsa.com
04/30/97     15:28:13