minstrel: song question

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Wed Apr 30 11:50:00 PDT 1997

> [...] Most "traditional"
> Scottish and Irish tunes that we have today have been written since the
> 18th century, e.g., Star of the County Down, Galway Bay, Loch Lomond,
> Carlough,...all these are frequently assumed by the general fireside
> audience as being period tunes. (These may not be the best examples, but
> you get the idea...) At least that's been my experience.

My experience has been that anything from or about Scotland or
Ireland has a special dispensation to be from the Period.

e.g.,
The Black Leather Band ("Why Paddy won't be at work today")
The Old Dun Cow ("Somebody shouted, 'MacIntyre'")
1000 Miles ("I would walk 500 miles, and I would walk 500 more")
Synchronicity ("Many miles away")
Sunday, Bloody Sunday ("How long must we sing this song?")

-- Alfredo el Bufon