minstrel: song question

Alexandria Long longalex at pirates.Armstrong.EDU
Wed Apr 30 11:06:25 PDT 1997

Just because a song is written after 1600 doesn't mean it can't be made to
sound period. Unless somebody has a degree in early musicology, the
general SCA audience doesn't know the difference. Most "traditional"
Scottish and Irish tunes that we have today have been written since the
18th century, i.e., Star of the County Down, Galway Bay, Loch Lomond,
Carlough,...all these are frequently assumed by the general fireside
audience as being period tunes. (These may not be the best examples, but
you get the idea...) At least that's been my experience.

---Ceara ni Neill