minstrel: Re: Lullaby "Ar Hyd y Nos" (also Welsh WWW links)

Diana Hammond diana at oseda.missouri.edu
Wed Apr 30 07:24:23 PDT 1997

> > As to the lullaby "All Through the Night", I have been singing it to my
> > children since they were born (the oldest is 9 3/4).  There is a second
> > verse but, sad to say, I do not know the words.
>
> I've cc'd this reply to the minstrel list hoping to get Baroness
> Tangwystl's attention with respect to the Welsh lyrics and their
> provenance. Your Excellency?

Here are the Welsh words to Ar Hyd y Nos (which, incidentally, bear very
little resemblance to the English ones).  The "+" in "ser" in the first
line is the notation that means there should be a circumflex (^) over the
e.  For your origins, you will have to wait for Tangwystl to speak up.  I
just thought people might enjoy seeing the original in the meantime.

     Holl amrantau'r se+r ddywedant
     Ar hyd y nos.
     Dyma'r ffordd i fro gogoniant
     Ar hyd y nos.
     Golau arall yw tywyllwch,
     I arddangos gwir brydferthwch,
     Teulu'r nefoedd mewn tawelwch
     Ar hyd y nos.

     O mor siriol gwena seren
     Ar hyd y nos,
     I oleuo'i chwaer ddaearen
     Ar hyd y nos,
     Nos yw henaint pan ddaw cystudd,
     Ond i harddu dyn a'i hwyrddydd
     Rhown ein golau gwan i'n gilydd
     Ar hyd y nos.

I also promised this list, some time back that I would post a list of
Welsh links on the WWW.  You can find them at
<http://www.oseda.missouri.edu/~diana/cymru.html>

Pob hwyl!

Diana
    (  "You can't depend on your eyes                )
     )   when your imagination is out of focus."     (
     (                        Mark Twain              )
      ```` http://www.oseda.missouri.edu/~diana/ ``````