minstrel: song question

Stuart Joseph celtic at sover.net
Wed Apr 30 06:12:40 PDT 1997

mn13189 at WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU wrote:

> I have a question as to the origins of a specific song.

> It's called "Bonny Yew Tree."
Eogan,
Check out the Digital Tradition Folksong Database
http://www.deltablues.com/dbsearch2.html

I use it a lot and have for years, especially when I am trying to figure
out the words to a song that I heard somewhere, can't hear clearly from
the recording, or like you, remember bits and pieces.

It is an awesome site and is a great resource for thousands of tunes and
lyrics.

There is also a message board, so that you can post requests for songs,
give people stuff they are looking for, or get into a discussion.

The d/b isn't just limited to folk songs, there are all types of songs
there.

If you download it, you can actually get the tunes in ABC format. There
are also utilities on the site to enable you to convert the abc music
into standard notation and also to play it on your computer, all of
which is explained at the site.

--
Stuart Joseph
Celtic Cultures, purveyors of items Celtic and Historical

RR 2 Box 164, Houghton Brook Road
Putney, VT 05346 USA

802-387- 5458 (voice)
802-387-4831 (fax)