minstrel: Re: Lullaby "Ar Hyd y Nos"

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 29 20:31:44 PDT 1997

Linda Hopkins wrote:

> As to the lullaby "All Through the Night", I have been singing it to my
> children since they were born (the oldest is 9 3/4).  There is a second
> verse but, sad to say, I do not know the words.
>
> As a strange coincidence, I heard this the other night on television.
>
> If anyone knows the words to the second verse, please let me know.  My
> children love this song.
>
> Lady Kaylin

Have song books, will quote...

According to "Rise Up Singing", a collection of songs lyrics lacking
coherent tune notation edited by Peter Blood-Patterson and "A Sing Out
Publication", the English translation is c. J.B. Cramer & Co., Ltd., and
used by permission. It is 'Ar Hyd y Nos' in Welsh. No further provenance
is given other than a brief discography.  A lovely (though in my humble
opinion overarranged) version is on Meg Davis' second album published
many a year ago by Off Centaur-- I think it's still in print through
Firebird Arts & Music in Portland, OR. That's a big maybe, though.

I've cc'd this reply to the minstrel list hoping to get Baroness
Tangwystl's attention with respect to the Welsh lyrics and their
provenance. Your Excellency?

The second verse goes:

While the moon her watch is keeping, all through the night
While the weary world is sleeping, all through the night
O'er thy spirit gently stealing, visions of the light revealing,
Breathes a pure and holy feeling, all through the night.

My 'bardic' instinct says that the translation fair screams Victorian
sentiment, but that's my opinion.

ciorstan