minstrel: Re: song question "The Yew Tree"

Brett and Karen Williams brettwi at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 29 20:16:05 PDT 1997

mn13189 at WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU wrote:

> I have a question as to the origins of a specific song.
> I recently found out that the root word of my name (eo) is Gaelic for yew
> tree, and "Eogan" means "one who sprung from the yew."
> This reminded me of a song I haven't thought about in a while, and got me
> interested in it.
> It's called "Bonny Yew Tree."
> It's a Scottish song, and the version I know is in modern English...

**interesting stuff snipped for brevity**

> The chorus is simple: "My bonny yew tree, tell me what did you see."
> Aye,
> Eogan

Well met, Eogan...

"..and I thought as I stood and laid hands on your wood that it might be
a kindness to fell you..."

According to the liner notes of my black vinyl copy of Battlefield
Band's "Anthem for the Common Man", side two, track two, "The Yew Tree"
is very much copyright Brian McNeill, published by Egerton Music and
royalties collected by ASCAP (USA) and Kinmor Music in Great Britain.
The first time I heard this particular song was when Battlefield Band
performed it at McCabes', in Santa Monica, southern California, in the
set that contained their version of Creedence's "Bad Moon Rising",
complete with lead bagpipes!

The discography stuff says 1984 015 TUS, Temple Records, 72 Egerton
Road, Arlington MA, 02174. I do recall, having been in McCabes recently,
that this particular record has made it into a cd reprint, so one can
presumably look it up in the "discs in print" tome and get the current
catalog number. This can be done through any *decent* music store.

ciorstan