minstrel: song question

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 29 16:45:53 PDT 1997

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 mn13189 at WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Heather Rose Jones wrote:
> > Based on comparisons with cognate names in the Brythonic languaes and in
> > Gaulish, the usual explanation of the origin of "Eogan" is from "Eugenos"
> > meaning "true/well-born". The name is cognate with Welsh "Owein" and --
> > from a much earlier connection -- with "Eugene"! (This suggests either
> > than the compound itself, or at least the elements it is compounded from,
> > were in use quite early among the Indo-Europeans.) I believe the
> > connection with the word for "yew" is based on a coincidental resemblence.
>
> According to Black's _The_Surnames_of_Scotland_, the surname EOGHANN comes
> from Old Irish Gaelic "eo," a yew tree, and means "sprung from a yew

I would like to apologize for the absolutist tone of my previous post. I
find, on closer examination, that the jury is still very decidedly out on
the origins of Eoghan/Owein -- with opinion divided between whether the
name is "true-born", "yew-born" or "Esos-born" (a divine name), and worthy
and respected scholars in each camp. I am most familiar with commentary
from the first camp and made the mistake (while away from my library) of
assuming there was no controversy.

Again, I am sorry.

Tangwystyl