minstrel: song question

Tue Apr 29 15:07:14 PDT 1997

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997, Heather Rose Jones wrote:

> Based on comparisons with cognate names in the Brythonic languaes and in
> Gaulish, the usual explanation of the origin of "Eogan" is from "Eugenos"
> meaning "true/well-born". The name is cognate with Welsh "Owein" and --
> from a much earlier connection -- with "Eugene"! (This suggests either
> than the compound itself, or at least the elements it is compounded from,
> were in use quite early among the Indo-Europeans.) I believe the
> connection with the word for "yew" is based on a coincidental resemblence.

According to Black's _The_Surnames_of_Scotland_, the surname EOGHANN comes
from Old Irish Gaelic "eo," a yew tree, and means "sprung from a yew
tree."  I would venture to say that Dr. Black knew what he was talking
about, as he was (and his book still is) the premire authority on Scottish
names).  He lists a variety of spelling, both in Gaelic, Latinized,
Anglicised, and regional varieties, used as a first name and a surname.
If you want to discuss the origin of my name further, please email me
privately.  I doubt that the list at large is very interested.
Aye,
Eogan