minstrel: song question

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 29 10:17:42 PDT 1997

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 mn13189 at WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU wrote:

> I have a question as to the origins of a specific song.
> I recently found out that the root word of my name (eo) is Gaelic for yew
> tree, and "Eogan" means "one who sprung from the yew."

As usual, I go off on a tangent and fail to address the question at hand

Based on comparisons with cognate names in the Brythonic languaes and in
Gaulish, the usual explanation of the origin of "Eogan" is from "Eugenos"
meaning "true/well-born". The name is cognate with Welsh "Owein" and --
from a much earlier connection -- with "Eugene"! (This suggests either
than the compound itself, or at least the elements it is compounded from,
were in use quite early among the Indo-Europeans.) I believe the
connection with the word for "yew" is based on a coincidental resemblence.

But don't let that stop you from enjoying the song!

Tangwystyl