minstrel: Bardic and other terms

Mon Apr 28 11:20:29 PDT 1997

On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Alexandria Long wrote:

> > 2.  In early lowland Scotch: A strolling musician or minstrel 1449.
>
> I'm not so nitpicky about the term "bard", but this is a really big
> peeve...: "Scotch" refers to products of Scotland, while "Scottish" refers
> to the people and the language; but please don't be offended by my
> selective exactness.
> ---Ceara ni Neill

Since this is a peeve of yours, and you are admittedly nitpicky, I thought
I might correct you on one count.
You say that "Scottish" refers to teh people and the language.  The
language, as a proper noun, is "Scots."  However, if you are using the
term descriptively, it would be correct to say "Scottish accent."  But may
I point out that there is a difference between someone speaking Scots and
someone speaking English with a Scottish accent.
As to the "Scotch" / "Scottish" debate, the most frequently heard rule is
that Scotch is a drink, and Scottish descibes the people and culture.
However, after having worked with, talked to, and learned from many
Scottish and Scottish-American people, I find that the two terms are used
interchangably, and that, in general, "Scottish" is used more frequently,
although no one cringes when someone uses the term "Scotch."  I hear
Scots-Irish and Scotch-Irish about as often as one another.  Occasionally
I'll get someone who corrects someone who uses "Scotch," but to most
people, it does not matter.
Aye,
Eogan Albanach