minstrel: Fyrewalking and hospitality

Alexandria Long longalex at pirates.Armstrong.EDU
Mon Apr 28 10:11:21 PDT 1997

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, Edwin Hewitt wrote:

... or half of a pop tart and water.

In most camps I have visited, water is a very valuable commodity indeed;
beer is much easier to come by. If someone offers me water I might feel
obligated to write a song depicting the history of their shire or barony
from the birth of their kingdom. (provided the water was filtered and
cold. Otherwise, perhaps something just to praise the generosity...)

> ... but the generousity of spirit.

With this I agree wholeheartedly. It always warms my heart just to hear
applause; then I know I've successfully "brightened" someone's evening (or
afternoon, or whenever it is).

> I feel the same distain for mercenary bards as I do mercenary knights.
> Mercenary knights merely serve for pay, not for higher cause.  Who
> knows better than a true bard what cause is highest!

Yes!! Sing it, brother!
---Ceara