minstrel: Fyrewalking and hospitality

Rex Deaver rdeaver at cgro.com
Mon Apr 28 07:01:47 PDT 1997

At 06:21 PM 4/27/97, Edwin Hewitt wrote:

>At 02:10 PM 4/25/97 -0500, Rex Deaver wrote:
>>And, IMO, looking longingly at your empty cup and commenting on the dryness
>>of your throat is *not* asking for a gift...
>
>It's not?!  I sounds less than subtle to me.

But, good milord, subtlety is only *one* tool in an entertainer's kit and,
like any other, should be used for the appropriate job at the appropriate
time.  While it is possible to drive a nail with a shovel, it is often a
better use of skill and time to use a hammer.:)

>It is true that most people in the SCA will gladly offer a thirsty traveler
>a drink - this is courtesy.  Going from camp to camp LOOKING for a drink
>is not.  I trust this is not what you are suggesting.

Perhaps here is our point of difference; I am not advocating "mooching" or
"begging" but rather offering a service for value.  The value may indeed be
nothing more than good companionship.

>As for the obligation to accept hospitality, this is often overlooked.  I
>have accepted some pretty gosh-awful homebrew from time to time.  I do,
>however, applaud the spirit (if not the spirits).

When my host is a poor crofter, then cold mutton and small beer are as great
a reward as gold from any King...perhaps greater, for to the crofter that
simple meal taken from his own mouth, while a King may freely give much gold
without suffering any want.

Mathurin

----
Rex Deaver
rdeaver at cgro.com
"Things unattempted yet in prose or rhyme."