minstrel: Fyrewalking and hospitality

Edwin Hewitt brogoose at pe.net
Sun Apr 27 18:21:33 PDT 1997

At 10:15 AM 4/25/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Let's say I take your advice, and give a performance freely at
>the camp of el Conde Fulano del Tal, and his Excellency rewards
>me freely.  Still following your advice, I "tell of the greatness
>of the giver" by composing a song about his generosity to me.
>Then I go to the camp of the tiny Shire of Keep Dexter, and sing
>my new song. The poor denizens of Keep Dexter are moved by my song
>to try to match the Count.  Have I just crossed over into being
>a boor and a churl?
>
>-- Alfredo

I will try to be clearer.  To give freely does not necessarily mean
to give a large quantity.  Using your example, should the poor denizens
of Keep Dexter wish to be generous to you, then they may give you a
song of their own, or half of a pop tart and water.  The amount does not
matter, but the generousity of spirit.  The challenge would be to sing of
the open handedness of both patrons.

If, however, you choose to perform strictly for those who can pay you
large quantities of food, drink and coin such as the good Conde Fulano,
and then neglect small hamlets such as Keep Dexter, then I would agree.

I feel the same distain for mercenary bards as I do mercenary knights.
Mercenary knights merely serve for pay, not for higher cause.  Who
knows better than a true bard what cause is highest!

Edwin