minstrel: Definition of Bardic

Harold Feld hfeld at ids2.idsonline.com
Sun Apr 27 06:22:41 PDT 1997

At 1:24 AM 4/27/97, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>> I fear I must disagree.  The ability to create new traditions, or to evolve
>> old ones, allows the SCA to be a vibrant, dynamic, *living* culture.  Rather
>> than a bunch of people getting together to ape a dead one.
>
>Actually, I can vibrantly and dynamically ape a dead culture quite
>well, thank you. But this discussion is really straying away from the
>topic of the list.
>
>Gregory Blount

Actually, while I agree with Gregory about the acronym thing straying far
afield, I suspect this argument has a place here in the context of bardic
performance.  The difficulty is not that it doesn't belong, but that it is
an old argument and has been played out before (both here and elsewhere).

Still it occasionally yields some fruit.  I'll pose the following question.
I recently posted a new poem in the style of a Shakesperean sonnet.
Nothing in the poem was modern, except that I wrote it.  Was it "aping a
dead tradition?"  If not, does it not demonstrate the possibility of
creating new, dynamic, original work in a period format?

Yaakov

Harold Feld
SCA
Yaakov HaMizrachi

"Do not ask 'Why are these days not as good as the days of old?' This
question is not prompted by wisdom." -Eccl.