minstrel: Bardic and other terms

Fiona P. bilby at matra.com.au
Sun Apr 27 01:20:47 PDT 1997

Did we resolve the reason as to why one says "bardic" instead of "bardic
ARTS" or something?  Does the use of the adjective as a noun get on anyone
else's nerves as much as it gets on mine?  I'd not heard the term before I
started reading here.

The definition of the term's almost been done to death, but I thought I'd
throw in what the Shorter OED has to say on the matter:

Bard, ME [-Gael., Ir. ba[acute]rd, W. bardd:- OCelt. *bardos (whence Gr.
(greek stuff), L. bardus).  Orig. a term of contempt, but idealised by
Scott]
1. AN ancient Celtic order of minstrel-poets, who composed and sang
(usually to the harp) verses celebrating the achievements of chiefs and
warriors  In Welsh spec. A poet who has been recognised at the Eistoddford.

2.  In early lowland Scotch: A strolling musician or minstrel 1449.
3.  Used of the Old English _gleeman_, Scandinavian _scald_, etc 1623.
_poet_. A "singer".  (Chiefly after Lucan.) 1667.
[Frenzied fooles, bairds, rynners about ... after sundrie punishments, may
be hanged.  1609]

It goes on to talk of horse coverings and bacon, but I thought them
inappropriate ... :)

It then speaks of bardic (of, pertaining to, or the character of ... -
1775), bardish (or or belonging to ...), bardism (the system, doctrine, or
principles of bards) and, my favourites, bardling and bardlet (an
inexperienced poet; a poetaster).

Just my tuppence-ha'penny's worth ... ;)

                      - Fyrean McNeil of Barra -

	O feminea forma, O soror Sapientie, quam gloriosa es ...