minstrel: Bards, Ceilidhs, and Ye Olde Englyshe

Fri Apr 25 14:00:10 PDT 1997

> >Also not that "ye" meaning "the" (as in the previous
> >example) is Victorian also.  Now Middle English did use "e"s on the end of
> >words when needed, and "ye" was in the vocabulary as "you."  But these
> >things were not used in the way we stereotypically see them used on store
> >signs and what not.
>
> I have the following direct quote from Anthony Wood (1632-95), quoted in
> _The Oxford Companion To Music_:
>
> Dr. Tye was a peevish and humoursome man, especially in his latter dayes,
> and sometimes playing on ye Organ in ye chap. of qu. Elizab. wh. contained
> much musick, but little delight to the ear, she would send ye verger to
> tell him yt he play'd out of Tune; whereupon he sent word yt her ears were
> out of Tune.

Ok.  Maybe I was off a bit when I attributed this pracice to the
Victorieans (although they certainly did it), but my main point was that
"ye" did not equal "the" in Middle English.  Your quote from the 17th
century is early modern English, so my original assertion still stands.
Aye,
Eogan