minstrel: Fyrewalking and hospitality

Rex Deaver rdeaver at cgro.com
Fri Apr 25 12:10:55 PDT 1997

At 01:53 PM 4/25/97 -0400, Alexandria Long wrote:

>Perhaps I'm doing something wrong, but I've done plenty of firewalking and
>only on occasion has anyone ever offered to refill my cup. Anything beyond
>that is unheard of to my experience; of course I consider it rude to ask
>for gifts, but if the opportunity to be rewarded for a performance is
>there, why have I never encountered it?

Interkingdom anthropology probably plays a part.  And, if you are the 14th
entertainer to come by that night, they might be out of beer. :)

And, IMO, looking longingly at your empty cup and commenting on the dryness
of your throat is *not* asking for a gift...it is part of the atmosphere.  I
would not hesitate to ask for a drink if my throat was parched in any other
situation, I have trouble understanding what would make this one any
different.  A camp that won't give a thirsty traveler a drink is not one I
care to be at, fyrewalking or not.

Mathurin

----
Rex Deaver
rdeaver at cgro.com
"Things unattempted yet in prose or rhyme."