minstrel: FUBWBA

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Fri Apr 25 11:16:00 PDT 1997

> > > Forgive my ignorance, but would someone please tell me what a "fubba
> > > wubba" is?
> > It is a pronunciation-spelling (as opposed to a spelling-pronunciation) of
> > the acronym "FUBWBA", that is, "Fat Ugly Broad With a Bad Attitude". In my
> > experience, it is generally used as a dismissive insult toward women who
> > have the misfortune to simultaneously be larger than a size 9 and actually
> > have the nerve to hold strong opinions, particularly on SCA politics.
>
> That is the most direct translation, yes, but:
>
> Not all Fubwba's are fat
> Not all Fubwba's are female
> Not all fat females are Fubwba's
>
> What defines a Fubwba is not physical attributes but attitude.
> [...] being narrow minded about it and refusing to listen to the counsel
> of others is the defining element of a fubwba.
>
> Fubwba's as autocrats are the ones who schedule everything down to the
> exact minute [...]
>
> Fubwba's as seneschals are the ones who martyr themselves by taking on
> all the projects alone instead of delegating authority.
>
> Fubwba's as peers are the ones who hold all future candidates up to an
> ideal that they didn't meet themselves when they were granted peerage.
> [...]

It seems this word doesn't have a lot going for it.
Half the people don't know _what_ you mean, and the other half
think you mean the offensive literal original meaning.
Are you sure there's no better word to use?
How about "stickler"?  (used in 1644 to mean "one who insists on
exactness or completeness in the observance of something").

-- Alfredo
If we teach everybody, including, say, high school students, habits of
skeptical thought, they will probably not restrict their skepticism to
UFOs, aspirin commercials, and 35,000-year-old channelees.  Maybe they'll
start asking awkward questions about economic, or social, or political,
or religious institutions.  Perhaps they'll challenge the opinions of
those in power.  Then where would we be?    -- Carl Sagan