minstrel: More questions

Pendar pendar at unm.edu
Fri Apr 25 10:14:20 PDT 1997

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Heather Rose Jones wrote:

> It is a pronunciation-spelling (as opposed to a spelling-pronunciation) of
> the acronym "FUBWBA", that is, "Fat Ugly Broad With a Bad Attitude". In my
> experience, it is generally used as a dismissive insult toward women who
> have the misfortune to simultaneously be larger than a size 9 and actually
> have the nerve to hold strong opinions, particularly on SCA politics.

That is the most direct translation, yes, but:

Not all Fubwba's are fat
Not all Fubwba's are female
Not all fat females are Fubwba's

What defines a Fubwba is not physical attributes but attitude. It is not
a sin to hold strong opinions, but being narrow minded about it and
refusing to listen to the counsel of others is the defining element of a
fubwba.

Fubwba's as autocrats are the ones who schedule everything down to the
exact minute and get upset when the crown and populace don't follow their
schedule. (Who could possibly be expected to fight a 40 man tournament in
the 20 minutes slotted for it in the schedule?)

Fubwba's as seneschals are the ones who martyr themselves by taking on
all the projects alone instead of delegating authority.

Fubwba's as peers are the ones who hold all future candidates up to an
ideal that they didn't meet themselves when they were granted peerage.

I could come up with more examples, but I think you get the idea.

-Pendar