minstrel: Definition of Bardic

Rex Deaver rdeaver at cgro.com
Fri Apr 25 09:07:54 PDT 1997

At 11:08 PM 4/24/97, Edwin Hewitt wrote:

>I feel that a greater flaw in the SCA is looking to the our own SCA
>traditions rather than to period customs and traditions.  This is a
>problem across the arts spectrum:  bardic, armoring, costuming....
>and it gets worse when it comes to less tangible things such as
>ceremony and court.

I fear I must disagree.  The ability to create new traditions, or to evolve
old ones, allows the SCA to be a vibrant, dynamic, *living* culture.  Rather
than a bunch of people getting together to ape a dead one.

In a perfect world, new traditions would be 100% true to the
spirit/intent/ideal of the Period.  I agree that we are sometimes better at
achieving this goal, and sometimes worse.

As this pertains to the arts and sciences, Period artists and artisans did
not copy each other, they "stole" from each other techniques and methods but
added their own personal stamp/style to each piece...that is what makes
original works so much more valuable than knock-offs.

I agree that Creativity should not be a justification for eschewing
Authenticity...but neither can Authenticity be allowed to smother
Creativity. The one is as bad as the other.

Mathurin

>Before I get branded as an authenticity mavin (who came up with this
>suddenly popular term, anyway, and why is it bad?), I should say that
>I prefer the SCA to reflect the Ideals of the middle ages rather than
>the Actual middle ages.  This is best reflected in the songs and
>chansons and stories of the Period and in the Romantic revival of the
>late 18th and 19th centuries.
>
>We copy a copy when we look at the last event to model the next one, or when
>we build a costume based on one we saw at the last coronation, or when we
>just perform the same songs and stories everyone else does.  We will never
>be the original middle ages, but the more we look to the original, the closer
>we are to the true font of inspiration.  Drink deep, lest you run dry.
>
>Edwin.

----
Rex Deaver
rdeaver at cgro.com
"Things unattempted yet in prose or rhyme."