minstrel: Fyrewalking and hospitality

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Fri Apr 25 07:15:00 PDT 1997

> If you walk into a private camp and then tell them that bards expect to
> be gifted, then you are a boor and a churl.  You insult your host and
> yourself.
>
> If you give a performance freely, and are rewarded freely then both bard
> and host are exalted.  This is the time to tell of the greatness of the
> giver!

Let's say I take your advice, and give a performance freely at
the camp of el Conde Fulano del Tal, and his Excellency rewards
me freely.  Still following your advice, I "tell of the greatness
of the giver" by composing a song about his generosity to me.
Then I go to the camp of the tiny Shire of Keep Dexter, and sing
my new song. The poor denizens of Keep Dexter are moved by my song
to try to match the Count.  Have I just crossed over into being
a boor and a churl?

-- Alfredo