minstrel: Definition of Bardic

Edwin Hewitt brogoose at pe.net
Thu Apr 24 23:08:10 PDT 1997

At 10:46 AM 4/23/97 -0700, Heather Rose Jones wrote: (snipped)
>One of the great flaws of the SCA as a historically-oriented group is our
>tendency to grant higher status to SCA jargon than historical usage. In
>this case, to SCA jargon derived largely from  contemporary fantasy novels
>and rpg stock character-types.....
>
>Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
>(wishing pop culture would pillage someone _else's_ traditions on
>occasion)

Agreed.  Mostly....
I feel that a greater flaw in the SCA is looking to the our own SCA
traditions rather than to period customs and traditions.  This is a
problem across the arts spectrum:  bardic, armoring, costuming....
and it gets worse when it comes to less tangible things such as
ceremony and court.

Before I get branded as an authenticity mavin (who came up with this
suddenly popular term, anyway, and why is it bad?), I should say that
I prefer the SCA to reflect the Ideals of the middle ages rather than
the Actual middle ages.  This is best reflected in the songs and
chansons and stories of the Period and in the Romantic revival of the
late 18th and 19th centuries.

We copy a copy when we look at the last event to model the next one, or when
we build a costume based on one we saw at the last coronation, or when we
just perform the same songs and stories everyone else does.  We will never
be the original middle ages, but the more we look to the original, the closer
we are to the true font of inspiration.  Drink deep, lest you run dry.

Edwin.