minstrel: Sonnet

Harold Feld hfeld at ids2.idsonline.com
Thu Apr 24 18:56:45 PDT 1997

Written for my lady on a pleasant day in March . . . .

        Spring suits her best.  Though fair in any season,
        It seems her beauty and her blushes bloom
        Just after winter's rest.  Is that the reason?
        Her shining spirit -- chilled by winter's gloom --
        Perhaps doth sleep through winter's bitter night.
        Then, warmed by gentler days and fragrant breezes,
        Her shining smile awakes; its joyous light,
        Bright in her blue eyes, dazzling as it pleases.
        Or is it rather my own sense that sleeps,
        Appreciation dulled by cold and dark?
        My eye that dormant lies as winter keeps
        My heart in hibernation 'til spring's spark
                Reveals what always lay before my eyes --
                A love that ever blooms and never dies.

Harold Feld
SCA
Yaakov HaMizrachi

"Do not ask 'Why are these days not as good as the days of old?' This
question is not prompted by wisdom." -Eccl.