minstrel: Ceilidh

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 23 17:24:47 PDT 1997

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997 mn13189 at WCUVAX1.WCU.EDU wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Ed Hopkins wrote:
>
> > I just wish I knew how to pronounce it, and form the plural.
>
> Ceilidh is prounounced KAY-lee.  I can remember how to say it and spell it
> because it is just like my lady's name, with a "C" added in front.
> As to the plural, since I always use it when I'm speaking English, I say
> Ceilidhs.  But I have no idea what the correct Gaelic plural would be.

The modern Scots Gaelic plural is "ceilidhean". The modern Irish Gaelic
singular and plural are "ce/ile; ce/ili/". The medieval origin of both is
"ce/ilide", plural "ce/ilidi" -- but the only meanings the DIL (dictionary
of Old and Medieval Irish) gives have to do with the root meaning of
"visit", without the "music party" connotations it has today.

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn