minstrel: More questions

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Wed Apr 23 17:08:22 PDT 1997

On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Alexandria Long wrote:

> Forgive my ignorance, but would someone please tell me what a "fubba
> wubba" is?

It is a pronunciation-spelling (as opposed to a spelling-pronunciation) of
the acronym "FUBWBA", that is, "Fat Ugly Broad With a Bad Attitude". In my
experience, it is generally used as a dismissive insult toward women who
have the misfortune to simultaneously be larger than a size 9 and actually
have the nerve to hold strong opinions, particularly on SCA politics.
(What connection the two attributes logically have escapes me, but I
suppose it falls under the theory that if merely disagreeing with someone
will not achieve your purposes, then you can insult their physical
appearance to add strength to the truth of your cause.)

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn
(I think it's grading mid-terms that makes me so opinionated today.)