minstrel: Definition of Bardic

Martin Hungerford jongleur at netcon.net.au
Wed Apr 23 16:30:03 PDT 1997

In one case at least (See Percy's "House Book of the Earls of
Northumberland") there was a character referred to as "the King's
Juggler". For England in the 14th C. it would appear there was a strict
social structure in the performing arts. What I think of as a 'Bardic
performance' (i.e. in which some-one receits poetry while some-one else
harps) would rank at the top of that structure. Juggling, acrobatics,
conjuroring and dance music playing were all lower ranked activities.

I think much the same hierachy (sp?) applied in 12th C France, where we
find Troubadors hiring jongleurs to perform their work and/or minstrels
to accompiany them.

There are some sources, which if any one finds I'd love to see. In
partic. there was a book produced in the 12-14th C called someting like
"Advice to the Jongleur"  Does any one know of this?

Martin the Juggler OL

This is Martin Hungerford, aka Martin Jongleur, aka Martin o' Lyos
(called the Juggler) OL.  email:jongleur at netcon.net.au