minstrel: Earthworms Through the Ages

Muirgheal leslyann at voyager.snetnsa.com
Wed Apr 23 16:08:13 PDT 1997

>Pendar interprets, in part,
>> [...] Take for example a very popular SCA song "Worms of the Earth".
>> [...] I have examined the lyrics and determined that the singer is trying
>> to get the audience to conspire with him to overthrow the local feudal
>> lord:
>> [...]
>> "Well, they've beat us before" (goes without saying)
>> "And they'll beat us again" (if we don't DO anything)
>> "But we'll drink from their helmets tonight." (This is an attempt to get
>> the audience to visualize the glory of an uprising.)
>>
>> The first three verses are all in the past tense. They relate a series of
>> injustices that the speaker is trying to use to get his audience upset.
>> He then relates how when the lord came to demand more taxes they killed
>> him, and the whole mood of the song, as well as the tense, changes.
>>
>> When performed properly (at least in my opinion) this song should have
>> the audience hollering and applauding loudly and screaming "I want to
>> kill something!" instead of sitting there depressed staring into the fire.
>
>This is an interpretation that had not occurred to me.
>It's always seemed to me that "we" would be drinking from
>their helms after "they" had gotten themselves killed
>fighting against _other_ "lions of might" over who gets to
>own the worms.  That is, that the purpose of the song was to
>simply to make the listeners indifferent to the causes of
>ruling class.
>
>-- Alfredo

"Well, they've beat us before"
"And they'll beat us again"
"But we'll drink from their helmets tonight."

 - sounds more like "We know this uprising can never have any lasting effect,
and we'll still be as bad off as we always have been, but it was so bad we
just had to do something since we had nothing to lose. Lets get one good blow
in before they win."  It does seem to be a call to arms, but to a cause that
even the participants know is doomed to failure.

  Muirgheal

Name: Lesley Anne Baker
E-mail: leslyann at voyager.snetnsa.com
04/23/97     16:08:13