minstrel: Earthworms Through the Ages

Ed Hopkins Ed.Hopkins at MCI.Com
Wed Apr 23 11:10:00 PDT 1997

Pendar interprets, in part,
> [...] Take for example a very popular SCA song "Worms of the Earth".
> [...] I have examined the lyrics and determined that the singer is trying
> to get the audience to conspire with him to overthrow the local feudal
> lord:
> [...]
> "Well, they've beat us before" (goes without saying)
> "And they'll beat us again" (if we don't DO anything)
> "But we'll drink from their helmets tonight." (This is an attempt to get
> the audience to visualize the glory of an uprising.)
>
> The first three verses are all in the past tense. They relate a series of
> injustices that the speaker is trying to use to get his audience upset.
> He then relates how when the lord came to demand more taxes they killed
> him, and the whole mood of the song, as well as the tense, changes.
>
> When performed properly (at least in my opinion) this song should have
> the audience hollering and applauding loudly and screaming "I want to
> kill something!" instead of sitting there depressed staring into the fire.

This is an interpretation that had not occurred to me.
It's always seemed to me that "we" would be drinking from
their helms after "they" had gotten themselves killed
fighting against _other_ "lions of might" over who gets to
own the worms.  That is, that the purpose of the song was to
simply to make the listeners indifferent to the causes of
ruling class.

-- Alfredo