minstrel: Definition of Bardic

Kathy Lee kal35810 at Jetson.UH.EDU
Tue Apr 22 20:30:22 PDT 1997

>I think that in general in Ansteorra (and I am sure I will be corrected if I
>am wrong) that generally, if there is a bardic competition, that these
>non-audio preforming arts are not included.  There are occasionally separate
>competitions for things like Belly Dance, but I don`t remember ever seeing
>anything formal for something like juggling.

Most bardic competitions in Ansteorra are categorized into "Song, Story &
Poetry" ... many of us are also trying to add new categories ... such as
"Instrumental" and "Other".  The "Other" category, albiet broad, encompasses
anything from juggling, to dramatic interpretation, to interpretive dance
(any style - from the bellydance to the highland fling).  Should these
things be included?  I don't know that "Bardic" is the appropriate umbrella,
but right now it seems to be the only umbrella that fits.

-Kat