minstrel: Definition of Bardic

J. Michael Shew jshewkc at pei.edu
Tue Apr 22 18:32:16 PDT 1997

You Ask:
Definition of Bardic? (Does this answer vary from kingdom to kingdom, or
person to person?)

Do things like juggling, bellydance, ect fall in with bardic? (And I guess
from that question would those be appropriate topics for this list?)

I answer:
	The question came up at a meeting of the bardic college of
Calontir several years ago, and began with the weird argument as to what
an "oral tradition" meant.  (I had a bit of a time explaining that it
meant the MEMORIZED work.  We still have the "read only" bards who swear
that it means instrumental, juggling, etc. is not bardic.
	The present bardic charter does not make a lot of mention as to
the artforms, and by absence of the description, allows the one in charge,
(Meaning me, heh, heh, heh...) to make a few minor decisions.
	A bard is a performer, of course.  Those who merely write and
never perform are not less than equal members of the college, but they are
encouraged to try performing.
	Instrumentalists are more than welcome.  We have three locally.
	Dancers haven't exactly broken down the doors around here. But I
would not run them off either.  I wanna learn to juggle, so a juggler is
legal too!  (So there too, Nyah!)
	I have, however, been asked if strip-tease is a bardic art.  I
have yet to decide if the answer will require a demonstration.
	Mikal Hrafspa

    Mikal the Ram; an annoying Bard of no redeeming qualities
Dread Jarl of the Vanir       in the storm wind victorious
By your grace this sea steed      treads pathways of silver.
We honor with whispers     like the sound of wave song
Your wild waters     and fair wind words

			(JOHNSAGA)