minstrel: Bardic in the Known World Q

Heather Rose Jones hrjones at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Apr 22 14:49:31 PDT 1997

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, trischia walker wrote:

> Another note I should have included in my earlier response-
> If you want one heck of an Arse kicking bardic - Oertha is the place!!!
> The first bardic of any kind I ever attended was the Oerthan bardic at
> TYC - and I was hooked.  But be warned - all the disclaimers I heard are
> true:  Don't expect any other bardic to match up, there is only one
> Oertha.

I'll come in with a dissenting voice here. While there are certainly a
number of excellant bards in Oertha and a high level of bardic activity,
I've found Oerthan bardic circles to be very "closed" in feel. I.e., if
you aren't one of the regulars, or have one of the regulars promoting you,
or are comfortable competing for attention in an atmosphere where getting
heard necessarily means interrupting someone else, then chances are you
aren't going to get to perform. I've never had a particularly good
experience as a performer at an Oerthan-run bardic.

Tangwystyl verch Morgant Glasvryn