minstrel: Bardic in the Known World Q

Sandra Davis tristan&isolde at pstbbs.com
Mon Apr 21 15:23:16 PDT 1997

>The question I would like to pose is this.
>What is bardic like in the different kingdoms?
>In the various kingdoms, how is bardic viewed?

Regarding the bardic situation in AnTir:

>Do bards perform "all the time" at events?

There are usually numerous informal performances and/or jam sessions
going on in various encampments and gathering places all during the day
and evening (and sometimes far into the night) at most outdoor events.

At indoor events, it depends on the site.  If there is an appropriate /
accessible area, there is often something going on.

>Do bards perform before court?

That depends on whose on the throne.  Some Royals are more interested
in the bardic arts than others.  The current King and Queen of An Tir are
VERY supportive of the bardic arts, and they always have music during
court, usually in the form of background/filler/processional music.  They
are also interested in seeing other types of performances, and have
traveled great distances to attend and show support for bardic
competitions within the kingdom.

>Do bards perform during/before most feast?

Almost always!  I honestly can't recall the last time I attended a feast
where there were not bardic performers.

>(Are there) lots of bardic circles?

Yes.  There is usually at least one "official" sanctioned bardic circle that
is announced in advance (in the event copy or site handout).  There are
also usually numerous "unofficial" bardic circles in peoples encampments
or other gathering places.  Sometimes these are general bardic circles,
and sometimes they are on a specific theme (i.e. - period only, filk only, French only, etc.).

>Do bards perform between rounds in a tourney?

I've never seen this.

However, we do have Bardic Tournaments, which are usually run in exactly
the same manner as a fighting tournament.  These are relatively new (within the past two years or so), but they seem to be well received, and I think
they have a lot of potential.

>Do bards perform other times, places?

We have numerous bardic competitions here in An Tir, and they tend to be very well attended.

>Who do you hear perform bardic (only the super bards, or everyone?)

Everyone.  Competitions are open to all.  Bardic circles are open to all.

>Any other observations?

The bardic arts are fairly well respected here in An Tir.  We cover a wide
range of forms, from filk to intensely period (and everything between), and
they all seem to find their niche.

We have several Laurels in various aspects of the Bardic Arts, which would tend to further indicate that those arts are respected and taken seriously
within our Kingdom.

An Tir also has a lot of Ithras (weekend workshops where classes are
taught), and various bardic classes are often included.   We even have one
very popular Ithra each year devoted specifically to the bardic arts (offering
20-30 different classes each year).

And that is (at least one person's) view of the "bardic situation" in the
Kingdom of An Tir.

In service -

Isolde de la Vielle-a-Roue