minstrel: period music/period sounding music

umwhit46 at cc.UManitoba.CA umwhit46 at cc.UManitoba.CA
Sun Apr 20 18:27:03 PDT 1997

I am relatively new to the exploration of the arts bardic, so perhaps I can
offer a "newbie's" perspective.  You state that writing "a simple period
style tune isn't very hard" -- that may well be true for those who can write
music.  I can neither read nor write music and must learn all pieces by ear.
*Composing* is well beyond my ability.  The best I could manage would be to
play "my" tune into a tape recorder and then hand it off to someone else to
transcribe for me.  What I actually do, is find someone who *can* read and
write music to compose music for my lyrics.

Another alternative is writing my lyrics to existing music.  I do understand
your objection to *contemporary* music, but I seem to remember that writing
new lyrics for extant music is very 'period' indeed -- although one should be
using period music if the goal is authenticity.  Writing to modern music is
generally called "filking" and also has its place -- not as serious
research-based bardic art, but as something fun to do for post-revels and
bonfires.  There have been some wonderful pieces, with an SCA theme, done
using this technique.  It would be a shame to lose that outlet.  It too, is
an expression of the bardic spirit, in that it brings joy to the listener.

Sian verch Gruffydd.