minstrel: Question

Laura McKinstry dalm at why.net
Sat Apr 19 09:09:15 PDT 1997

JP Andrews wrote:

> First I'd like to hear the difination of the "TRUE Bard", I suspect
> it
> will be different than mine.

I assume "true bard" refers to the term Bard as used historically -
meaning the Irish Bards who could perhaps 100 hours or more of
historical poetry, WORD FOR WORD exactly the same as they learned it.
However, the term bard, as used in the SCA, means performer, and it
doesn't hurt to remember that not all SCA "bards" are emulating true
Bards.  Some are Minstrels and Jongleurs, for whom altering the original
is right up their line of work.  That's how we got so many different
versions of, for example, "Tom o' Bedlam".

> As to the question, I think the teacher teaches all of it, the
> original
> and the variations, along with some idea of when to do which.

I wholeheartedly agree!  Especially since I use both the original and
the new depending on the preferences of the people I am playing for
(being a jongleur, I have to be flexible.)  For authenticity mavens, I
play authentic.  For fun mavens, I play filk.  TEACH ALL OF IT and let
your student decide which path to choose.  Within the SCA, the dearth of
bardic types as teachers necessitates that a Bard might teach a
Minstrel, a Jongluer teach a Troubador.  Each should take different
paths, so they need to have knowledge of the paths in question.

Laura McKinstry   aka Lark of Cire Freunlaven
Dallas, TX  Steppes, Ansteorra
           dalm at why.net