minstrel: Question

Muirgheal leslyann at voyager.snetnsa.com
Fri Apr 18 13:11:15 PDT 1997

>Besides, it goes against the fabric of a TRUE Bard to change something they
>pass on, as one of the roles of a Bard was to pass on oral tradition in a
>society that was basically illiterate.
>
>Talen

>What about "bardic licence" can a bard make a song more "politically correct"
>for an audience?
>
>The last poster (Talen) comments that it is against the nature of a "TRUE
>BARD" to change something.  I would personally disagree, I think it is in the
>nature of a "TRUE BARD" to improve upon anything they do.
>
>Crystal

This may depend somewhat on what period you're from.  There are certainly lots
of known examples of stories which were quite drastically changed and
elaborated on by period bards/minstrels/troubadores to suit the audience they
were performing for. I think these 'known examples', however, tend to be from
later period, when at least a large portion of the aristocracy was literate.
It's much harder to be sure of how bards performed in more illiterate
cultures. Where bards were relied on as the keepers of history, there was at
least a goal that stories should be kept in their original forms.

If this generalization is accurate enough to draw conclusions from (and I'm
not sure that it is), it would make sense for the SCA, as a literate culture,
to follow the later custom of freely changing and adapting songs and stories
as needed. Those with early period personas, however, may want to stick to
performing the earliest known version, in keeping with a persona who would
have valued its accuracy.

Muirgheal

Name: Lesley Anne Baker
E-mail: leslyann at voyager.snetnsa.com