minstrel: Question

Randy Dees rrd at amherst.com
Fri Apr 18 10:10:20 PDT 1997

My .02:

This is a topic which I have given much thought to as I am one of those
who routinely _change_ things for performance, often without even
realizing it.

I am probably biased because, as I mention, I frequently do change lyrics,
tunes, timing, keys, or anything else I need to for a performance.

When I do a performance of a song which I _know_ I have changed, or which
I _know_ has many versions, I try to mention that fact along with
referencing the author - to the best of my knowledge.

I personally will perform and/or pass on any version that I think is
appropriate of any song I know, unless I know that the author expressly
wishes otherwise.  (No, I am not meaning copyright infringement here -
although I disagree with the concept I am bound by the legalities of the
copyright system.)

It is a lot to keep track of, but I try to keep track of both the original
author and the source for any changes I know of.  And I almost always
caveat my entire performance with the fact that I change things.

For distribution, I keep the closest copy to the author's that I can find,
and if possible/necessary then I also keep a modified version.  For
instance, in Atlantia a version of Master Morric's _Belt and Chain_ is
popular which has been modified by (I think) Lady Julitta des Chevaux to
better fit the concepts of Atlantia.  I distribute words as modified by
her.  I am trying to get ahold of his original lyrics, so that I can know
what the changes are.

In some parts of the knowne world, it is particularly difficult for new
bards to gather new material.  I have been in some, and am currently
blessed with a large collection of lyrics to which to put tunes.  I will
distribute anything that I can - and let the individual performer know as
much of the history of that tune as I can so that they can make this
decision.

>8 Snippage here 8<

 Randy Dees			| SCA:  Talorgen ni Wrguist
 ASI Systems Administration	|         a bard, formerly known as Myrddyn
 rrd at amherst.com		| Barony of the Rhydderich Hael, AEthelmearc
 Proverbs 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end
		thereof are the ways of death