minstrel: Question

CAB cab at scientific.com
Fri Apr 18 09:28:59 PDT 1997

                                                                      4/18/97
                                                                      11:13 AM
 Question

Since, it seems a little slow on this list, I wanted to transplant a question
that has come up on the Ansteorran list and see what the "Bards" think.

<snip>
Lord Larkin O'Kane responded to:
On Fri, 18 Apr 1997 01:45:50 -0500, Sir Burke Kyriell MacDonald wrote:
>I notice in the various versions of this song that have been posted here
>over the last few days that some of the verses have change over the years.
>A few have become more (politically Correct??).  So do we hold true to the
>original versions or do we teach the newer versions of those verses?
----------
:Leave it up to the performer!
----------
The performer will perform the way they learned.  What Sir Burke is asking
is "what should the TEACHER teach?".  I'm in favor of the original.
Besides, it goes against the fabric of a TRUE Bard to change something they
pass on, as one of the roles of a Bard was to pass on oral tradition in a
society that was basically illiterate.
Just my two pfennigs worth.
Talen
---------
Centurion Talen Gustaf von Marienburg
Ritterlichkeit und Ehre
talen at microtutors.comTalen
<end snip>

The song in question is a SCA written song about Ansteorra, its people, ect.
It seems that no one person has written more than a few verses, but I have
seen about 12 verses total.

The questions are:

If there are various versions of an SCA written song - which version should be
taught?
learned?
preformed?

Here I am assuming that it will probably be the opinion that if it were a
period song, with various versions that the preferred meathod would be to try
to find the most period/most documentable/ect.  Any other thoughts though?

What about "bardic licence" can a bard make a song more "politically correct"
for an audience?

How about updated?  in the song in question - one verse refers to a Prince of
Ansteorra - should bards then change and refer to him as counts in later
preformances as appropriate?

In this particular song, there is not one single writer, so would "bardic
licence" be more free in this one than one with a single aurthor?

The last poster (Talen) comments that it is against the nature of a "TRUE
BARD" to change something.  I would personally disagree, I think it is in the
nature of a "TRUE BARD" to improve upon anything they do.

What are the other opinions?

Crystal