minstrel: Performing in Feast Halls

Harold Feld hfeld at ids2.idsonline.com
Tue Mar 11 18:31:18 PST 1997

At 6:30 PM 3/10/97, J. Michael Shew wrote:

>        I tell my students in the SCA that the worst and best place to
>entertain is feast.  If you cannot hold a crowds attention, if you voice
>will not carry, if your material is not sufficiently powerful, they will
>bury you in conversation and loudly thank you for shutting up when you are
>done.  No audience is more devistating.
>        But if you get them at once, hold their attention, and make them
>forget the remove untill it gets cold, they will applaud you, ask for
>more, and make you a hero.  No audience is more appreciative or rewarding.
>It's all in the way you think of it and prepare...
>        Mikal Hrafspa

I am curious as to what others think of performing in feast halls.  For
myself, I try to discourage the practice and will not perform.  The caveat
to that is incidental music, which I wish we would have more of during
feasts.  But, frankly, I think it is rude for a performer to want to hold
up everyone's dinner and socializing time.  (Astridh, do you have acopy of
my "Response to Ioseph" piece that appeared in Bard's Fire?  I lost mine
*and* the issue of Bard's Fire when I moved).

It is different if a performance is planned as after-dinner entertainment,
or as entertainment between courses.  But I say- let people eat in peace.

Yaakov
(a simple man with simple pleasures)

Harold Feld
SCA
Yaakov HaMizrachi

"Do not ask 'Why are these days not as good as the days of old?' This
question is not prompted by wisdom." -Eccl.