minstrel: aid for baby bards

Mon Mar 10 10:02:15 PST 1997

On Mon, 10 Mar 1997, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

> pendar at unm.edu writes:
> >Please keep in mind that you can't TEACH anyone Bardic Skills! They
>
> This is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard on this list.  You
> damn well CAN teach bardic skills -- they are skills like any others.

This may or may not be "the biggest load of crap" you've seen here, but
whatever your opinion of it, you may want to reconsider the way you state
it.  It's ok to disagree (that's what people in a discussion often do, and
the best way to come to a viable decision), but by prefacing your
arguement like this, you don't make people eager to take what you say
seriously.  I would advise you to re-read some of your other comments,
such as:

> And yet, without criticism, people generally don't correct chronic
> problems, as they generally don't recognise them. Criticism, done
> right, is a necessary step towards turning a bad performer into a
> tolerable one, a mediocre one into a good one, and even a good one
> into a great one.

and

> True enough -- in a bardic workshop, everyone should feel free to
> contribute, and this is for fun, after all, even if it's for learning too.

Criticism on this list (which is, after all, one big bardic discussion),
should be handled in the same way.  Do it right.  Everyone should feel
free to contribute, and "this is for fun, after all," in your own words.
Calling someone's opinion a "load of crap" (even if you genuinely think it
is) is not condusive to these goals.  Likewise, at a bardic workshop, even
if you honest to god think that this person is the worst performer you've
heard, telling them that in those words is not going to make them want to
keep trying.

> >As you can tell, I have run several of these things both at SCA events
> >and in private. I have, unfortunately, become rather jaded towards the
> >entire thing, but am more than willing to help someone ELSE do it. : )
> Doesn't look like it from here.

And from where I stand, it doesn't look like you follow you own advice
when it comes to criticism.  If you want to make an intellegent
reply to something you disagree about, please do.  But if you are going to
insult someone's opinion, please do it privately, or not at all.  But
don't post it for all to see.

Aye,
Eogan Og Mac Labruinn