minstrel: aid for baby bards

Mon Mar 10 08:49:12 PST 1997

When I first joined the society and started performing (the first song I
ever sand in front of people--not counting music class in elementary
school--was at my second event), the biggest help people gave me was their
enthusiasm and encouragement.  The songs I learned, the styles I have
taken on, all of my research I have done pretty much by myself, or by
emulating other's styles that I liked and thought would work for me.  The
best thing others gave to me, then was their encouragement, and
enthusiasm, by letting me know that they were having a good time
performing, researching, being bardic, and I could, too.  That, I think,
is the most essential point to keep in mind when helping beginning bards.
Listen to them, encourage them, and HAVE A GOOD TIME.  They wil be
watching you to see how a "Bard" acts and behaves.  If you lecture, teach
too much technical stuff early on, or are visibly bored or tired, they
aren't going to think this bardic stuff is much fun.  Have a good time,
*and let them see you having a good time*.  It'll always bring 'em back to
learn more, and make them more comfortable intheir own performances..
Aye,
Eogan

"Ye knowe ek that in forme of speche is chaunge
Withinne a thousand yeer, and wordes tho
That hadden pris, now wonder nyce and straunge
Us thinketh he, and yet thei spake hem so,
And spedde as wel in love as men now do."
	--Geoffrey Chaucer (late 14th cent.)