minstrel: virtual singing lessons?

Monica Cellio mjc at telerama.lm.com
Sun Mar 2 20:47:51 PST 1997

That break can be really annoying, and as far as I know all female singers
start out with one.  (I can't speak for the men.  I know there's a point
where they have to go into falsetto, but I think the phsical factors are
different.)

To deal with this, you need to practice "smoothing out" that range.  I
know two exercises that help with this:

1. Sing a downward run of 5 notes on the syllables "ooh", "ee", and "ah".
That is, sing (say) G down to C on "ooh", then back up to the G and down
on "ee", and likewise on "ah".  Start with a range that's entirely below
your break (top note D or E in your case, maybe), then go up by half-steps
until you're entirely above the break.  Once you're warmed up a little,
focus on the middle chunk (the part that involves your break range).

2. Another downward run of 5 notes (and the same general guidelines for
where to start and end apply, though doing runs that are entirely above
or below won't be helpful), but this time just pick a comfortable syllable
(probably "ah").  Try to sing the entire run in head voice; then try to sing
the first 4 notes in head voice and the last one in chest voice; then try
to sing the first 3 in head voice and the last 2 in chest voice; and so on
all the way to all 5 in chest voice.  Iterate.

I'm not sure what the first one does, but it seems to help.  What the
second one is doing is getting you used to consciously shifting at any of
a number of points.  Once you get the basics down, work on making it sound
as smooth as you can.  This is what will really help, I think.

Disclaimers: not a voice teacher, not a pro.

I hope this helps!

Ellisif

--
Spam bait: postmaster at 127.0.0.1, abuse at 127.0.0.1