minstrel: Re: King Arthur search

Dick Eney dickeney at access.digex.net
Thu Feb 27 17:30:11 PST 1997

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Nicholson, Drew wrote:

> I have a friend who is looking for a tale of one of King Arthur's knights.
>
> The knight finds this lady and marries her.  She is completely lovely
> for 12 hours a day and unspeakably ugly the other 12.  He gets to choose
> which 12 hours of the day she is lovely.  After much thought, he choose
> that she be lovely during the day, so that all his friends can also
> enjoy her loveliness.  After being married for a year, and sleeping next
> to this ugly woman by night, she rewards him for his kindness and
> becomes lovely all the time.
>
> Does anyone have any idea which knight this is and where I might find a copy of
> the story?  Also, is it period?

 Sure is.  It's a variant of Chaucer's "Wife of Bath's Tale", and the
 Canterbury Tales are completely in period.  But in Chaucer the lady is
hideously ugly to begin with, and then changes at night, much to his
surprise.  And she asks him...aw, I don't want to spoil it for you.  Go
read it.

|---------Master Vuong Manh, C.P., Storvik, Atlantia---------|
|Now, let's stop and think: how would Bugs Bunny handle this?|
|----------------(dickeney at access.digex.net)-----------------|