Twa Corbies vs. Three Raven, was Re: Re[2]: minstrel: Th

Katherine Penney Katherine_Penney at ccm.jf.intel.com
Thu Feb 27 10:58:00 PST 1997

Text item:

     Please be careful, very subtle differences can be more damaging than
     large differences.

     Here is my interpretation:

     Three Ravens:

          Hungry Ravens notice dead knight, but can't eat him because:
               His hawks and hounds protect him.
               His lady (down there comes a fallow doe as great with child
               as she might go) cares for his wounds, mourns for him,
               buries him and dies from grief.
          The last verse is a prayer that each gentleman should have such
          loyal companions. (God grant every gentleman such hawks such
          hounds and such a leman)

     Twa Corbies:

          Hungry Ravens notice dead knight and that nobody is guarding him.
               His hound has run off hunting,
               His hawk is chasing birds,
               His lady is being unfaithful with another.
          They eat him, and use his hair to line their nest!
          Then they say that many will grieve but none will know where he is...

     Twa Corbies, in my opinion, is a sarcastic Nastyization of Three Ravens...a
     filk gone bad...

     If you'd like, I can compare "Froggy went a courting" with "There was a
     frog lived in the well".... :)  The THEME at least is kept intact...

     :)
     Constance